Today's Survival Show Forum
August 16, 2017, 10:27:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: $5 preps  (Read 5883 times)
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« on: August 26, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »

Here's a partial list of $5 preps.  Removing most financial excuses for not being prepared. Can anyone think of anything else?  These all cost approximately $5 give or take a little bit.  Derived from The Survivalist Boards at, http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=36711

FOOD ITEMS

* Five packages of Idahoan instant potatoes (flavored)
    * A case of ramen noodles (20 pkgs)
    * five cans of sardines
    * five gallons of purified water
    * nearly two cases of bottled water
    * four cans of peaches, pears or fruit cockatail
    * 2 jars of mandarin oranges
    * five pounds of rice
    * three to four pounds of spaghetti
    * Two cans of spaghetti sauce
    * three bags of egg noodles
    * eight packages of gravy mix
    * four cans of whole or sliced new potatos
    * four cans of green beans or at least three cans of carrots, greens, peas or mixed veggies
    * Two cans of Yams
    * six cans of pork and beans
    * one 40 ounce can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew
    * Two 12 ounce cans of chicken, tuna or roast beef
    * One 1lb canned ham
    * three cans of refried beans
    * three 12 oz cans of raviolis or spaghetti O's.
    * Two 12.5 ounce cans of Salmon
    * Five pounds of Oatmeal
    * Four packages Dinty Moore heat and eat meals
    * five packages of corn bread mix
    * Four pounds of Sugar
    * Five pound of Flour
    * 1.5 quarts of cooking oil
    * three one pound bags of dry beans
    * two cans of apple juice
    * a jar of peanut butter
    * two boxes of yeast
    * two bags of generic breakfast cereal
    * 10 8 oz cans of tomato paste/tomato sauce
    * four cans of soup
    * four cans of Chunky soup
    * 8-10 pounds of Iodized salt
    * two bottles of garlic powder or other spices
    * Two boxes of kool aid
    * A can of coffee
    * 2 bottles of powdered coffee creamer

Non-Food Items

* one manual can opener
    * two bottles of camp stove fuel
    * 100 rounds of .22lr ammo
    * 25 rounds of 12 ga birdshot or small game loads
    * 20 rounds of Monarch 7.62x39 ammo
    * a spool of 12lb test monofilament fishing line
    * 2 packages of hooks and some sinkers or corks.
    * artificial lure
    * two packages of soft plastic worms
    * three Bic Lighters or two big boxes of matches
    * A package of tea lights
    * 50 ft of para cord
    * a roll of duct tape
    * a box of nails or other fasteners
    * a flashlight
    * two D-batteries, four AA or AAA batteries or two 9v batteries
    * a toothbrush and tooth paste
    * a bag of disposable razors
    * eight bars of ivory soap (it floats)
    * a box or tampons or bag of pads for the ladies
    * two gallons of bleach
    * needles and thread
    * a ball of yarn

OTC Medications (at Dollar General)

* 2 bottles 1000 count 500 mg generic Tylenol (acetometaphin)
    * 2 bottles 500 count 200 mg generic advil (ibuprofen)
    * 2 boxes 24 cound 25 mg generic Benadryl (diphenhydramine HCI)--also available at walgreens under "sleep aids."
    * 4 bottles 500 count 325 mg aspirin
    * 2 boxes of generic sudafed
    * 4 bottles of alcohol
    * a box of bandages (4x4)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:03:45 PM by Today's Survival Show Host » Logged

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
maustypsu

Who is John Galt?

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:56:46 PM »

For the vehicle:

Poncho
Emergency Blanket
Hammer, Wrench or screwdrivers
Cheap pocket knife
Bag of sand for you northerners
Small shovel
Flares
Couple Glow Sticks
Plastic Gas or Kerosene Can
Rolls of Duct Tape
Multi-Tool (Wal Mart - Winchester Brand for $5)
Darkwinter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:12:36 PM »

Cheap Preps:

$5.00 in the bank is a good prep.  Grin

Go to the libraray and pick up some books on Permaculture, Gardening, Solar systems, fishing, hunting, automotive maintainance, carpentry, HAM radio . . .$0.00

Forage for berries and other wild edibles $0.00

Exercise:  Lets face it, none of us are as fit as we were when we left high school.  Now people are building BOB's and think they can hike 200 miles to a remote location with a 50 lbs pack.  Try it guys.  Start exercising.  You will live longer, have a better love life, have more energy, and if you need to, you might be able to make that hike, Oh and $0.00

STOP BUYING JUNK.  Stop buying those magazines at the check out counter.  NO you don't need that DVD.  This isn't just free, it saves you $30.00-$50.00 a month (more for some people).

Knowlege is much more powerful than gear.
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:39:02 AM »

1 pkg. mountian house dehyd. scrambled eggs w/bacon
  2 mountian house freeze dried ice cream sandwiches
 1 container great value multi spice (5 spices in divided container from wally world camping dept.) salt,pepper,paprika,garlic powder, season salt.
1 mainstay emergency ration bar
  2 mountian house freeze dried neopolitan ice cream

If I can help one person to get prepared, If I can through my knowledge and prevent them from making the mistakes I have made. If I can help just one person to obtain the knowledge that will save their life or the life of a loved one. Then I will know that the time and work I have invested was and is worth every minute spent.
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:38:49 PM »

Bob
 I agree with you it seems to me that Mr. Martin is taking offense where he has no reason to. I also agree about information sharing. I too am a member of multiple forums. I think 5-6 of them. Although I rarely post on 3 of them. I have been "quoted" on a couple of forums that I don't post on. BUT rather than take offense at being quoted without credit, I feel  honored that people value the information enough to take it to other forums or share in other ways. I agree with you 100% and back you the same. I feel sorry for Mr. Martin that all he can find out of all the great information here is a reason to complain..IMHO    Don

If I can help one person to get prepared, If I can through my knowledge and prevent them from making the mistakes I have made. If I can help just one person to obtain the knowledge that will save their life or the life of a loved one. Then I will know that the time and work I have invested was and is worth every minute spent.
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:17:51 PM »

Thanks oldsoldier,  I learned a long time ago that you have to have a thick skin to be successful and I certainly do.  Being in sales for a living has taught me that.  I also learned to NEVER burn bridges.  I will never go to someone else's forum or website and trash them publicly.  Praise in public, reprimand in private has always been my motto.  Apparently some people don't share those same ethics with me. 

Some like to come in and spread trash and I'm not sure what their agenda is, really.   Apparently other members of our forum have chosen to do that in other forums and it's sad, but as I mentioned, I have a thick skin.  I just know that I won't have that sort of thing on my conscience

Thanks again for your support.  Now on to more positive subjects...

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »

Already have, and Darkwinter, you are welcome back anytime.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
ravenwolf31

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:09:57 PM »

Might add that Kitty litter works just as well as sand for winter conditions, and might be cheaper if you have cats.

If a man lose ev'rything he owns
Has he truly lost his worth?
Or is it the beginning
Of a new and brighter birth? -- Through Heavens's Eyes, Prince of Egypt Soundtrack.

Preppers: We are the type that for when the world hands us lemons, we make beef stew. Then we just sit back and watch while everyone else wonders how the hell we got beef stew out of lemons. Oh and we are willing to teach them how we did it. -- Ravenwolf

The Wolf Den My Blog
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 06:58:44 AM »

I guess cats are good for something huh?   Cheesy  Just kidding...

Didn't know that though.  I guess that would classify as a $5 prep huh?  (costs even less  Smiley)

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Bill Lindsay

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 06:50:23 PM »

I started thinking about $5.00 preps and getting off the main path and down some bunny trails, so to speak. A friend adn I were talking and he said quote: " The dollar store and Goodwill stores !"  Well there you go, thinking outside the high speed, low drag mind set.
Enterprise65

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 06:01:13 PM »

Instead of disposable razors using an older style double edge safety razor will save you tons of money to use for prepping. On top of savings, you will get a closer shave and the double edged razor blades can be used in medical emergencies as a scalpel or anything because they are super sharp. The razor handles can be found for $19 -$35 and box of 100 Astra premium blades are about $20 on just about every shave shop on the web. That's a box of 100 blades that will easily last a year or more for the price of a pack of Mach 3 razors!

Mandolin players spend 50% of their time tuning their mandolin and the other 50% playing an out of tune mandolin.
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 07:43:46 PM »

As a fella with a beard, I've given this a bit of thought as well.  I've looked into several types of razors and such, and the only one (outside of a straight razor) that I can see ever using is called a "Rolls Razor".  Google that sucker and see what you think.  Not cheap ($30 upwards of $100), but they look pretty handy.  Includes a blade, handle, sharpening/honing strips, all in one case.

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: