Today's Survival Show Forum
August 16, 2017, 04:38:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 16 Awesome Rules to Life and Business  (Read 13152 times)
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« on: February 12, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »

Found this on another forum here, http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.php?26944-16-Awesome-Rules-to-Life-and-Business.

Had to share it, it applies to nearly everything:

16 Awesome Rules to Life and Business

Bob Parsons, Founder & CEO of GoDaddy, has 16 awesome rules to life that I would like to share with all of you:

1. Get and stay out of your comfort zone.
I believe that not much happens of any significance when we're in our comfort zone. I hear people say, "But I'm concerned about security." My response to that is simple: "Security is for cadavers."

2. Never give up.
Almost nothing works the first time it's attempted. Just because what you're doing does not seem to be working, doesn't mean it won't work. It just means that it might not work the way you're doing it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, and you wouldn't have an opportunity.

3. When you're ready to quit, you're closer than you think.
There's an old Chinese saying that I just love, and I believe it is so true. It goes like this: "The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

4. With regard to whatever worries you, not only accept the worst thing that could happen, but make it a point to quantify what the worst thing could be.
Very seldom will the worst consequence be anywhere near as bad as a cloud of "undefined consequences." My father would tell me early on, when I was struggling and losing my shirt trying to get Parsons Technology going, "Well, Robert, if it doesn't work, they can't eat you."

5. Focus on what you want to have happen.
Remember that old saying, "As you think, so shall you be."

6. Take things a day at a time.
No matter how difficult your situation is, you can get through it if you don't look too far into the future, and focus on the present moment. You can get through anything one day at a time.

7. Always be moving forward.
Never stop investing. Never stop improving. Never stop doing something new. The moment you stop improving your organization, it starts to die. Make it your goal to be better each and every day, in some small way. Remember the Japanese concept of Kaizen. Small daily improvements eventually result in huge advantages.

8. Be quick to decide.
Remember what General George S. Patton said: "A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow."

9. Measure everything of significance.
I swear this is true. Anything that is measured and watched, improves.

10. Anything that is not managed will deteriorate.
If you want to uncover problems you don't know about, take a few moments and look closely at the areas you haven't examined for a while. I guarantee you problems will be there.

11. Pay attention to your competitors, but pay more attention to what you're doing.
When you look at your competitors, remember that everything looks perfect at a distance.
Even the planet Earth, if you get far enough into space, looks like a peaceful place.

12. Never let anybody push you around.
In our society, with our laws and even playing field, you have just as much right to what you're doing as anyone else, provided that what you're doing is legal.

13. Never expect life to be fair.
Life isn't fair. You make your own breaks. You'll be doing good if the only meaning fair has to you, is something that you pay when you get on a bus (i.e., fare).

14. Solve your own problems.
You'll find that by coming up with your own solutions, you'll develop a competitive edge. Masura Ibuka, the co-founder of SONY, said it best: "You never succeed in technology, business, or anything by following the others." There's also an old Asian saying that I remind myself of frequently. It goes like this: "A wise man keeps his own counsel."

15. Don't take yourself too seriously.
Lighten up. Often, at least half of what we accomplish is due to luck.
None of us are in control as much as we like to think we are.

16. There's always a reason to smile.
Find it. After all, you're really lucky just to be alive. Life is short. More and more, I agree with my little brother.  He always reminds me: "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time!"

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Rosesandtea

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:06:04 AM »

These are very good. Several, especially #10, apply well to parenting.
maustypsu

Who is John Galt?

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 05:37:43 PM »

These are very good. Several, especially #10, apply well to parenting.

My father (second smartest man I know behind myself  Grin) alway said "nothing ever stays the same.  You are always either getting better or getting worse."

I disregarded that the thousand times he told me as a youth.  But when you think about it and pay attention to it, the fact is a fact.  The stock market, the value of a dollar, your tennis ability, our knowledge, your love for your family (I love mine more everyday).  I challenge you to come up with a handful of things that are static.
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 06:50:12 AM »

After re reading this, my favorite is #15.  How many of you know someone like that?

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Frazer
Apartment Prepper!

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »

This is great, I printed it out and stuck it on my fridge!!!

Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 05:55:46 AM »

I wish more companies and corporations lived by it too.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Frazer
Apartment Prepper!

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 06:37:47 AM »

I wish more companies and corporations lived by it too.

Yeah it would be nice, to many organizations hire poor quality employees and pay them so little that quality suffers.  it's also hard to find a company that values their employees....

Ottar
I am Ottar NOT Pttar

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:50 AM »

But is so much cheaper to out source to India, The Philippines, or Costa Rica. Who cares that we cannot sell our product because we put so many Americans out of work? If big companies Like Dell or HP (among a long list)  had listened to 14 and 16 one of the big contributors of to days economic downturn may have been averted.

Ottar

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
danrunner

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »

I think I'll tweak these a little and share them with my students.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: