Today's Survival Show Forum
May 24, 2017, 06:37:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas Open Carry Starts in just over a week  (Read 1257 times)
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« on: December 20, 2015, 10:16:49 AM »

On January 1 2016 Texas will be an Open Carry state. The Concealed Carry Permit is still required but the name will be changed to a Carry Permit.

This has some nice upsides. Printing is no longer an issue as well as accidental exposure of the weapon.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this and while I will not normally be open in my carry here are a few times that I see it being good.

1. When I get out of my vehicle to pump gas I do not have to put on a cover shirt.
2. When I want to run into a convenience store to get a drink.
3. While in a restaurant eating I do not like to wear a jacket while eating.

Most of these scenarios are warmer times of the year. It will be more about not having to hide my weapon. Having a concealed weapon gives you the edge of surprise. That is a huge factor. on the other hand if the public gets used to seeing a weapon every now and then with no "bad event" happening it can make it more normal and remind the bad guys out there that there are guns in the hands of good people all around.

What are your thoughts?

Better to have it and not need it Then need it and not have it.
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »

I see it the same way:  it's just about convenience and not having to worry about accidentally showing the firearm.  I'm not so sure the general public will ever be comfortable with them in plain sight, though.  There's just so much negative spin nowadays that I don't think it'll ever be fully accepted.

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:29:17 PM »

I probably won't open carry on purpose.  Like you, I like the fact of not worrying about printing as much, but also not wanting to conceal when I'm just heading to the convenience store for a couple minutes.  However, it's usually concealed anyway, but I can worry less about my shirt accidentally riding up and showing the gun.  Bottom line, any law that expands our right to carry is a good thing. 

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:42:27 PM »

Also, I just renewed my CHL Instructor license.  It's now called CHL/LTC (license to carry.)  

If you know anyone who's in the San Antonio area that want's a private class, let me know.  I'm going to do private classes for 2-5 people and offer a greater value than a typical CHL class.  I'll teach 2 hours of defensive pistol.  $150 per person, 6 hours total.  The defensive pistol module includes the shooting qualification obviously.  It will be a very personalized class.  It's for people who don't like large groups of people in the same class and want personal attention from their instructor. 

I'll travel if it makes financial sense.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:44:07 PM by Todays Survival Show » Logged

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: