Today's Survival Show Forum
April 26, 2017, 12:34:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much food storage is enough?  (Read 4604 times)
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« on: September 25, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »

You hear all sorts of opinions.  Anywhere from 72 hours to 1 year.  We have to remember that if there is a massive disaster, it will be in everyone's best interest to make food available as soon as possible.  I sincerely believe it's in the best interest for authorities to avoid mass hysteria, rioting and looting, which would only get worse if there's no food.

However, its unwise to take the chance of not storing anything.  Why do you think that most grocery stores only have about 3-4 days worth of food on their shelves?  Because they know that's what 95% of their customer base stocks in their homes.

Be smarter than that.  I'm a believer in 2 weeks worth as being a good start.  What say you?

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Horsehide

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 01:43:22 PM »

We tend not to rely on any governmental handouts for food or water in a crisis situation.
The area where we lived in Colorado was prone to snow storms leading to power outages and general shutdown of all traffic.
We also went through a "500-year flood" which cut us off from most of the town.
Having food and water on hand was a necessity, not a luxury.
I was amazed how people would still raid the grocery store shelves prior to a big storm... People would slap and shove each other over a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk... And we are talking about a "middle-class" neighborhoods...
Very little forethought seemed to have been at work as to emergencies.
Since we moved back to Texas, we keep about three weeks to a month of food on hand, with enough water and means to purify water for the same period, if not longer.
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:23:55 AM »

Between the bug out kits in each vehicle, the camper, stored at home and a nearby storage facility we currently have right at 32 months worth of supplies. With supplies at the primary and 3 "secondary" BOL's if the secondarys are recoverable we have about another 18 months supplies. half a dozen small travel caches would yield another 6 weeks of supplies. As for how much is enough? My medium range goal is to make the BOL our permenant home place and have a 5 year stock plus seed and everything else needed to garden.

If I can help one person to get prepared, If I can through my knowledge and prevent them from making the mistakes I have made. If I can help just one person to obtain the knowledge that will save their life or the life of a loved one. Then I will know that the time and work I have invested was and is worth every minute spent.
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 03:05:22 PM »

We tend not to rely on any governmental handouts for food or water in a crisis situation.
The area where we lived in Colorado was prone to snow storms leading to power outages and general shutdown of all traffic.
We also went through a "500-year flood" which cut us off from most of the town.
Having food and water on hand was a necessity, not a luxury.
I was amazed how people would still raid the grocery store shelves prior to a big storm... People would slap and shove each other over a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk... And we are talking about a "middle-class" neighborhoods...
Very little forethought seemed to have been at work as to emergencies.
Since we moved back to Texas, we keep about three weeks to a month of food on hand, with enough water and means to purify water for the same period, if not longer.

Amazing how clueless some people are, huh?

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »

Between the bug out kits in each vehicle, the camper, stored at home and a nearby storage facility we currently have right at 32 months worth of supplies. With supplies at the primary and 3 "secondary" BOL's if the secondarys are recoverable we have about another 18 months supplies. half a dozen small travel caches would yield another 6 weeks of supplies. As for how much is enough? My medium range goal is to make the BOL our permenant home place and have a 5 year stock plus seed and everything else needed to garden.

Very nice!

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »

Yeah, start off small and work it up.  2 weeks is probably a good minimum and then see about slowly expanding it a few days worth at a time.  I see it more as an investment to which I slowly add to.  I personally would feel pretty darned comfortable with a years worth of grub.  My big issue would be water.

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 03:13:35 PM »

Very nice!

Thanks! It's been tough. Especially the last year. I've been taking every available hour I can get at work. Sometimes 6 days a week. Forget vacations. It just seems to me that there is a feeling of impending doom lately. God I hope I'm SO wrong, but I'm afraid it's not a matter of years before things fall apart BUT months and very few of those! I feel I am scrambling to get 10 years of preps crammed into 6 months or less then I can breathe again.

If I can help one person to get prepared, If I can through my knowledge and prevent them from making the mistakes I have made. If I can help just one person to obtain the knowledge that will save their life or the life of a loved one. Then I will know that the time and work I have invested was and is worth every minute spent.
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »

I tend to prep in spurts in order to not hemorrhage cash and time.  I've only been at it for a couple of years and was in an o.k. position until I moved to a new house 30+ miles out of town.  Not a total reset but a big bump for sure, and it gave me a bit of a sinking feeling. 

I do believe we all have the feeling of impending doom from time to time.  Nothing wrong with it.  Gives you a little kick in the rear. 

Mark
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 01:01:53 PM »

PARTY TIME!!!! Due to the generosity of a friend that is moving/ downsizing, we are now at out 48 month goal of prep supplies. Actually a little over that. They decided that moving their one year supply of dehyds for 2 people would be to much of a problem to pack and ship 3/4 of the way across the country due to it's bulk. So rather than sell it (I offered to pay them for it) they were just going to leave it here and repurchase when they get moved into their new place, So last night he and his wife brought over a van full of cases of #10 cans and 4 dozen 5 gallon pails ( the emergency essentials deluxe 1 year package for 2) of supplies. Had no clue they were going to do this until he called asked if we were going to be home for a while and backed in my driveway 20 minutes later, opened up the back doors on his van and asked "where do ya want to put this stuff?"  So the part of the garage where my wife normally parks her jeep is partially filled until I can make room for it.  I feel kinda bad about not forcing the issue of giving them something for it. BUT I didn't want to offend them either.

ravenwolf31

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 08:12:13 PM »

When you think you have enough, add just a little extra… just in case. Cheesy

If a man lose ev'rything he owns
Has he truly lost his worth?
Or is it the beginning
Of a new and brighter birth? -- Through Heavens's Eyes, Prince of Egypt Soundtrack.

Preppers: We are the type that for when the world hands us lemons, we make beef stew. Then we just sit back and watch while everyone else wonders how the hell we got beef stew out of lemons. Oh and we are willing to teach them how we did it. -- Ravenwolf

The Wolf Den My Blog
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »

Excellent.  Definitely a windfall.  I'm in the idea of getting things around me that can store anywhere from between 3 to 5 years.  Once stuff comes up on expiration dates, I'm planning on bringing it all somewhere like a shelter, community pantry, or somewhere it'll get used.  I'm also of the opinion that long term storage items (i.e. more expsensive freeze-dried and such) that have 20+ years of storage capability, can be aquired slowly and built up over time....kinda like setting a financial goal of savings and debt reduction.  It takes time, but it really adds up.  A lot of that freeze dried stuff is pretty darned good as well.  We would 'cheat' every once in a while when camping and pull a bag of mountain house outta the stores.  Turns out it's pretty good!

Mark
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: