Today's Survival Show Forum
June 25, 2017, 10:17:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kid's Education in a Long Term Survival Situation  (Read 4669 times)
Podunk

« on: December 18, 2014, 09:08:39 AM »

I have many grand children who will probably end up on my ranch should the SHTF... I wanted to pick up some basic home schooling materials but want them to be traditional / conservative.  Any ideas?
Podunk

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:12:36 AM »

Well this posted to the wrong area and I couldn't move or delete it...
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »

No worries I'll move it to the correct us forum later.   As for homeschooling you might want to check out The Survival Mom.  I've interviewed Lisa a couple times on my podcast and she's also posted on this forum.  But also go to www.thesurvivalmom.com

If I'm not mistaken she's got home schooling experience. 

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
FighterDoc

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »

We do too.  Conservative/Christian basis for homeschooling.  There are a ton of resources available online, and you'll find a ton of homeschooled folks who are very well-read, and very bright.  We've picked up materials from different companies including http://www.sonlight.com/ and https://www.abeka.com/ which are two of the names that you'll seen thrown around.  We've also added in bits and pieces that we find interesting including https://answersingenesis.org/store/curriculum/.  Yes, I know some of those are controversial for some folks. 
The beauty of homeschooling is you set the curricula and the book selection.  We've added constitutional studies, and books/video/internet work from other sources as well (everything from Magic School Bus to Weather Channel to science experiments we read about from other homeschool blogs).  Yes, we even counted Rush Revere 1-3.  When our kiddos get older, maybe 299 Days will be on their reading list!  Our 6 year old has already read over 100 books, and is on track to read more than her mom and I ever did. 
The other benefit is you can decide to have a rifle club (we're on BBs only at this point), or add soccer at your comfort level.  Gardening and animal care are also required courses in our school!
You decide, you teach, and you fill in your weaknesses with available resources.  What's not to love?

I will no longer accept the things I cannot change...I will now change the things I cannot accept!

FighterDoc
Amazon

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:10:18 PM »

I have homeschooled my children using Abeka and Pace curriculum. I also taught 3rd-9th grade at a private homeschool. There are so many packages for curriculum that you can buy. I saved all the used workbooks and had my kids write there answers on notebook paper. That way if the SHTF I can reuse the workbooks. I am also a big fan of buying used books, not ebooks. Because even with the best of curriculum you need to supplement with books, and hands on projects. I'm big on letting kids experiment and get lessons from daily life.

Freedom lies in being bold
FighterDoc

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 07:39:34 PM »

Absolutely agree Amazon!  Look for books from library sales, eBay and used from Amazon (the website, not the prepper).  A brand new fully established curriculum in one nice neat package will cost a fair chunk 'o change.

I will no longer accept the things I cannot change...I will now change the things I cannot accept!

FighterDoc
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »

Absolutely agree Amazon!  Look for books from library sales, eBay and used from Amazon (the website, not the prepper).  A brand new fully established curriculum in one nice neat package will cost a fair chunk 'o change.

OMG Doc that has happened to SuperDave so many times. He is at home looking at his Amazon Order or basket via Bobs site and then he gets a Text from Amazon and it always starts off "Hey Dave its Amazon" Daves response is HFS they are tracking me.

Just great timing.

Better to have it and not need it Then need it and not have it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: