Today's Survival Show Forum
October 17, 2017, 09:38:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave Ramsey's Debt Story  (Read 6118 times)
ravenwolf31

« on: August 17, 2014, 03:35:08 PM »

This is a video of Dave Ramsey telling about his debt story and how he got to understanding personal finance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1NJzEYARlM

It is a good story to learn lessons from.

If a man lose ev'rything he owns
Has he truly lost his worth?
Or is it the beginning
Of a new and brighter birth? -- Through Heavens's Eyes, Prince of Egypt Soundtrack.

Preppers: We are the type that for when the world hands us lemons, we make beef stew. Then we just sit back and watch while everyone else wonders how the hell we got beef stew out of lemons. Oh and we are willing to teach them how we did it. -- Ravenwolf

The Wolf Den My Blog
ZenSurvivor

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »

I'd throw this Dave Ramsey video up there too, as it's been an important message for me to remember in my own life recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ8_8RM27Io

The idea that a spirit of gratitude, instead of entitlement, is an important place to center one's self.  To help feel a sense of contentment with where you are (even if you are working hard to build an even better and more secure life for yourself and your family), so you don't getting carried away with accumulating "stuff" or feeling discontented with not yet being where you ultimately where you want to be.

"I love America because America is not just a country, it's an idea." - Bono
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:34:43 PM »

I really like Dave he has good easy to understand financial advice.  We're working slowly on becoming debt free. Wife's jeep has been paid off for a long time and I made the last payment on my truck today. Grin  Down to owing around $6,000 on our home. About 4 years left on the "place"/ retirement/ vacation/BOL Working on a years worth of expenses in savings. It's been a slow process but can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If I can help one person to get prepared, If I can through my knowledge and prevent them from making the mistakes I have made. If I can help just one person to obtain the knowledge that will save their life or the life of a loved one. Then I will know that the time and work I have invested was and is worth every minute spent.
ZenSurvivor

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:39 AM »

$6K on your home?!  That's amazing, oldsoldier, and inspiring to a guy like me who is further away from that light at the end of the tunnel.  Makes a guy like me want to pursue the debt-free dream, too....

"I love America because America is not just a country, it's an idea." - Bono
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »

$6K on your home?!  That's amazing, oldsoldier, and inspiring to a guy like me who is further away from that light at the end of the tunnel.  Makes a guy like me want to pursue the debt-free dream, too....

LOL Zen  last 3 years we've been double and more on our mortgage payments. Been a little tough but gonna be worth it in the end.

If I can help one person to get prepared, If I can through my knowledge and prevent them from making the mistakes I have made. If I can help just one person to obtain the knowledge that will save their life or the life of a loved one. Then I will know that the time and work I have invested was and is worth every minute spent.
FighterDoc

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »

Well done oldsoldier!
We've been debt free for a few years, and had a really tough time with the decision to buy vs rent in our new location.  We decided to rent and keep working on our down payment.  Being debt free is awesome.  The keys are contentment, communication and a budget/plan...a lot like survival!

I will no longer accept the things I cannot change...I will now change the things I cannot accept!

FighterDoc
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »

I watch none of this.  I switch stations whenever anyone comes on blathering about how to fix finances or invest using 'their system'.  If a beer-drinking, hockey-concussed, cancer-slapped lug like myself can be relatively financially sound, there's hope for everyone.  It's a basic prep.  Start slow and build momentum.  Nothing will happen overnight.

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: