Today's Survival Show Forum
October 17, 2017, 09:48:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Security systems, no-contract systems, etc.  (Read 6926 times)
ZenSurvivor

« on: July 08, 2014, 04:56:06 AM »

I have been doing a little research on security systems for my home this week, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a good DIY security system product, or no-contract systems, etc.  Had a little personal security issue this week, and although I'm trying to be thorough with my research, a part of me just wants to get something in place as soon as I can.

After looking through everything, it seems that for a non-landline, monitored system - which I would prefer - Simplisafe might be a good way to go.  Not a fan of their lack of glass-break monitors, though.  I have had ADT and it seemed to do the job fine, and I know that Bob has mentioned Brinks is a good company for a monitored, +contract system - but I'm really hoping to avoid a contract.  Looked into LaserShield but the landline becomes an issue.

Just wondering what people felt about whether or not Simplisafe was worth it, or if you have had a good experience going with a DIY kit or something like the GE choice series that I saw another person mention in comments in another thread.  Thanks for your comments.

"I love America because America is not just a country, it's an idea." - Bono
Jackpine Savage

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »

I don't have much knowledge of the stand alone systems, however most municipalities have some sort of permit required for alarm systems.   Most don't care if its monitored or not they still want their pound of flesh for the fee.   The fine for not having a permit is usually 3+ times the cost of the permit, then you have to get a permit anyway.   Just a heads up for the uninformed.  

Take Care and STAY Safe.  

It's a Jungle out there.
ZenSurvivor

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:11 PM »

@Jackpine Savage
Thanks for the tip, I had heard about the permit issue, and now that I hear it confirmed from you I will have to make sure and figure out what the rules are for my municipality. 

Permits for everything these days, it seems, even to simply protect yourself and your family.

Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:07:40 PM »

Call your local police department and ask them if a permit is needed.  It usually is.  Ask them to send you a form and purchase the permit.  Some police departments won't respond if you don't have the permit.  Same goes for fire departments.

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:52:42 PM »

Zen... I spent a few years installing/ repairing/ maintaining security systems. The ones we installed were fairly easy to install other than the cosmetic part, ( running the wire so they weren't exposed. Some were wireless and easy to install. Right now I'm having a brain lock and can't remember the brand name but I'll get back with the brand. I don't know where you live but most decent size cities have dealers that you can walk in and purchase parts to do your own "repairs" If you're even remotely technically able you could do a self install by reading the installation manual.  Just remembered the name of the equipment we used primarially was DSC ( digital security concepts)  their 832 system I believe was 90% wireless. The door, window sensors as well as the glass breakage, and smoke heat detectors, and motion detectors  were wireless and required batteries to operate. The interior as well as external audible sirens were hard wired.  The main panel while having battery backup used electricity for everyday powering that required an electrical outlet near the panel. Now while this makes for easier install the drawback(s) to these are 1. they require changing the sensor batteries on a regular basis usually like your smoke detector(s) a couple times a year. 2. being wireless the sensor to panel signal is somewhat limited usually 75' or so. Even then it depends on what's between the sensor(s) and panel, like wifi modems, cordless phone bases and such could impede the signal. Not to mention that the sensors for a wireless system are a lot more expensive than the traditional hard wire system.   but as I said if your relatively handy you can do a hard wire system yourself. If you were close enough and decided to do a system I'd be happy to help you.  I would even be willing to do a talk you through it on the phone if you wanted.

as for some of the systems  like ADT keep in mind they're an okay system and some people have them I personally find them lacking and they require you to sign a monitoring contract or pay a hefty fee to just buy the system. Plus the advertised $99 or whatever system has very limited components.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:14:00 PM by oldsoldier » Logged

If I can help one person to get prepared, If I can through my knowledge and prevent them from making the mistakes I have made. If I can help just one person to obtain the knowledge that will save their life or the life of a loved one. Then I will know that the time and work I have invested was and is worth every minute spent.
Super Dave

"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail."

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »

I'm surprised Mexican Joe hasn't responded yet.  This is his bread and butter.

— Benjamin Franklin
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 08:26:12 PM »

SimpliSafe used to be the cheapest/affordable, but now that it's so popular....well, it's gotten a bit pricier.  Here's a pic of what Joe has set up around the training house.

Not sure what he's trying to fend off, though.  Not sure I wanna know.

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark
Super Dave

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »

Hahahahaha, thats awesome Mark!

— Benjamin Franklin
ravenwolf31

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »

Nice T-Rex trap! LOL!

If a man lose ev'rything he owns
Has he truly lost his worth?
Or is it the beginning
Of a new and brighter birth? -- Through Heavens's Eyes, Prince of Egypt Soundtrack.

Preppers: We are the type that for when the world hands us lemons, we make beef stew. Then we just sit back and watch while everyone else wonders how the hell we got beef stew out of lemons. Oh and we are willing to teach them how we did it. -- Ravenwolf

The Wolf Den My Blog
ZenSurvivor

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »

Well hey, maybe I should just get me one of those T-rex traps. Smiley

It's funny, I just listened to Bob's latest episode about security, and he mentioned Simplisafe there.  I am leaning towards it, just because they do have the month-to-month monitoring service along with it, if nothing else.  I agree that it's a bit pricey, but for the pros and cons for my humble abode it might be worth it.

@OldSoldier - although I would consider myself savvy enough, given enough time, to put together a wireless system given the component parts, I think I might go for a pre-assembled set just given time constraints I have right now that keep me from doing as much DIY'ing as I'd like to.  I will probably be able to revisit that a few months from now, in which case if you are ever in NC I'd take you up on your offer to help!  You've definitely given me a few things to think about as I do prefer usually to have systems in place that I have a decent understanding of, and building them or linking them together myself usually goes the furthest towards me gaining that understanding.

Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »

SimpliSafe used to be the cheapest/affordable, but now that it's so popular....well, it's gotten a bit pricier.  Here's a pic of what Joe has set up around the training house.

Not sure what he's trying to fend off, though.  Not sure I wanna know.

That is Epic

Better to have it and not need it Then need it and not have it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: