Today's Survival Show Forum
October 18, 2017, 11:36:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding Chickens (What not to worry about)  (Read 7022 times)
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« on: May 15, 2014, 07:40:12 AM »

A New vid is up.
This one is on what not to worry about when feeding your chickens.
We let our eat egg corns and food scraps to include meat, eggs and yes even chicken.

http://youtu.be/wfjIQhj2vJw

Better to have it and not need it Then need it and not have it.
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »

A few additions I forgot to mention are additions to what I add into the chicken scratch.

We save the empty egg shells after we use the eggs. When we have a cool cookie sheet we warm them in the oven to completely dry them out. Then they go in a blender to turn them into powder and grit.

When I have almost a full Mayonnaise far of shell scratch I add that and 1 heaping Table spoon of DE (Food grade Diatomaceous Earth) to a 50 pound bag of scratch and mix it in.

This does 2 things. The egg shells increase the chickens calcium and so the young chickens have better eggs early on. Its normal for young chicks to lay eggs without shells early on until the calcium comes up.

The DE kills bugs in the animals systems that have an exoskeleton. This works on worms and similar parasites. This helps with fleas and ticks as well. The DE that I purchase comes from my local feed store. A 30 pound bag is the size of a 50 pound bag of corn and the cost is around $30.

The egg shells are free and a renewable cycle is at work.

FighterDoc

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 05:50:21 PM »

Nice, thanks for the intel!
We were looking at chickens for our next move, but the AF put us into a big city with pretty strict city rules, and living further out quickly became untenable.  Thanks AF for the move to DC!
We're hoping our next move will be to a place with a modicum of freedom so we can work on establishing a lasting homestead, and chickens will finally be part of the mix!

I will no longer accept the things I cannot change...I will now change the things I cannot accept!

FighterDoc
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:20:17 PM »

good luck in DC Doc

FighterDoc

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »

Not my preferred location (I was hoping to get back to Alaska, but would have settled for OK since that was on my list too)...but hey NoVA has some good things going for it, right?

I will no longer accept the things I cannot change...I will now change the things I cannot accept!

FighterDoc
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 06:41:53 AM »

VA is beautiful

MamaN

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 08:08:45 PM »

I am going to try this.  One tablespoon doesn't seem like very much, but I will take your word for it.  I do have a question, though.  What do you do with your eggs until you grind them up?  I don't want to grind eggshells every day and I don't want a bowl of eggshells to be a permanent fixture on my countertop.  Any suggestions?
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 06:08:19 PM »

I am going to try this.  One tablespoon doesn't seem like very much, but I will take your word for it.  I do have a question, though.  What do you do with your eggs until you grind them up?  I don't want to grind eggshells every day and I don't want a bowl of eggshells to be a permanent fixture on my countertop.  Any suggestions?

we just put them in an empty coffee container by the stove. When it gets full I push them down.

Its recycling Calcium.

Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 06:09:35 PM »

We only bake them once a month

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: