Today's Survival Show Forum
April 26, 2017, 12:41:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pickled garlic  (Read 4075 times)
Jackpine Savage

« on: May 04, 2014, 06:14:42 AM »

I was pickling garlic last night and thought I would share the recipe and my experiences with it.   First the recipe:

3 cups peeled garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups distilled vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a nonreactive pot (not aluminum) dissolve the sugar and salt in the vinegar.   Bring to a boil and add the garlic.   Cook on high heat for one minute stirring occasionally.   Put into clean jars and when cool store in the refrigerator.  While it's eatable right away, it's better after a month.

Now my experiences.   I'm in the woods all year round and in the summer I get covered with ticks.   The area I live in has not only wood ticks, but deer ticks.   Last year I had several stuck on me that had the "classic" bullseye red mark indicating Lyme's disease.   When I found and removed the tick, I would eat three pickled garlic cloves a day for two weeks.   Garlic has natural antibiotic properties and has been used in the past in folk remedies.   I just had a physical and was tested for Lyme's disease.   The result was negative.   

As garlic is a food and not a drug eating it shouldn't promote drug resistance in diseases.   I may be wrong on that and will gladly stand corrected by anyone who knows better.   

Also once pickled the "garlic breath" is virtually nonexistent, and the bite is gone unless you don't like vinegar pickles.   The cloves taste sweet.   And I've been told they go good in a Bloody Mary.

It's a Jungle out there.
Thox Spuddy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »

Sounds very good. You can also ferment garlic, just peel and crush and add small amount of water and pickling salt and leave in the fridge. In a month test it out. Good on french bread.
Jackpine Savage

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:15:20 AM »

I should have mentioned that it makes four jelly jars full of pickles.   The longer it ages the milder it becomes.   Depending on the recipe I've seen they recommend between one to three months to age.   I've tried it all the way from just done to over a year old and the older is much milder, but they are good fresh too.

Thanks for the idea on another way to prepare garlic.

Take Care and Stay Safe.

It's a Jungle out there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: