Today's Survival Show Forum
April 30, 2017, 03:23:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Trip!  (Read 6133 times)
FlCracker

« on: October 08, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »

Me and the hubby some times just jump in the car and take off. We find back roads we get the feel for new areas. Stop and eat lunch in a diff town and practice using a PAPER map. We discuss routes in case of evacuation. If your spouse isn't on board its still fun to get outa town for a while. let him/her navigate the back roads. Pack a lunch and find a river/lake and picnic. You will get closer and more prepared.

Any one else doing this?

Good Lord willin and the crick don't rise.
Super Dave

"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail."

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:56:59 PM »

i have, I drove a tractor trailer for 14 years, LOL!  My back-road excursions were usually to sneak past scales or get around accidents etc.  Doing the road trip of undriven roads is a great idea, you get to see and realize what is on your area, plus where there are better places to offer cover and concealment in a SHTF scenerio.  My wife used to do this to me when I moved to northeast Texas to get me lost, now I know my way around pretty well (17 yrs later).  To further build upon a bug out plan, use Google earth and map out the terrain features, locations of water sources, highly populated areas, etc.  Print these maps off and laminate them for your bug out bag.  Keep in mind, you may have to make this trek on foot.   

"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail."
— Benjamin Franklin
atomic17
Proudly Canadian

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »

I have two road atlases; one of my city, one of my province. Ive used both to either get around a maze of one-way streets or else avoid accidents. Best 30$ ive ever spent on my car right there. Use them all the time. I used a gps once; it lost its satellite connection at the critical moment; never again.

להיות עם חפשי בארצנו
FlCracker

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 06:32:38 AM »

Super Dave, great advice. I never even thought of printing out those maps.

Atomic17, I agree. Navigation is great for finding concerts in the city, but for remote locations, not so much.

FighterDoc

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 07:09:51 AM »

Planning a cross-country road trip with the family this month.  Will take some useful training while I'm out and about.  Will practice living out of the car for a bit, will practice navigating and see which map we like the most.
My favorite part about the cross-country trips over a few days/weeks?  You get to see the wide open spaces and scenery that tells me we have plenty of resources for 8 billion people if we use them correctly.  Oh, and I get to talk to my family!

I will no longer accept the things I cannot change...I will now change the things I cannot accept!

FighterDoc
FlCracker

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:16:23 PM »

Ya know I always thought the same thing, how the heck do we not have enough land to produce our own needs. I'm not a economist or politician, I run from that actually, but I know I grow a hell of groceries and I don't even have to use all my land....weird.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: