Today's Survival Show Forum
May 24, 2017, 06:29:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Preparing Your Pets for Emergencies.  (Read 8658 times)
mbarnatl
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 01:19:19 PM »

Any recommendations for a particular pet first aid book? I think I should get a fak specifically for my pets (1 dog 1 cat). They generally stay healthy but when something does happen it's usually a several hundred dollar pet visit. I'm starting to consider looking into this pet insurance thing I've been seeing. I had also opted not to microchip my guys but I think it might be a good idea to do it.

I have the following books:

Dog First Aid, by the American Red Cross (book/dvd)
Product Description
 Dog First Aid, by the American Red Cross, is a color-coded guide and accompanying DVD that includes basic responsibilities like spaying and neutering, to managing breathing and cardiac emergencies, to preparing for disasters. The guide includes nearly 70 dog first aid topics and the DVD shows step-by-step how to perform the skills needed to administer care to a dog. Dog First Aid is a quick reference guide designed to help everyday people manage emergency situations on their own, with speed and confidence. Support the American Red Cross today and equip yourself with first aid knowledge to protect yourself and your pet.

Cat First Aid, by the American Red Cross (book/dvd)
Product Description
 Cat First Aid, by the American Red Cross, is a color-coded guide and accompanying DVD that includes basic responsibilities like spaying and neutering, to managing breathing and cardiac emergencies, to preparing for disasters. The guide includes nearly 70 cat first aid topics and the DVD shows step-by-step how to perform the skills needed to administer care to a cat. Cat First Aid is a quick reference guide designed to help everyday people manage emergency situations on their own, with speed and confidence.

"The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Prepare for Tomorrow
http://www.facebook.com/mbarnatl
http://twitter.com/mbarnatl
40Cal Joe

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 01:04:32 PM »

My "foam faced attack Beagle" is really a true huntin dawg. Since Beagles are scent hounds, they can pick up the scent of a rabbit, dear or other game quickly. And my buddy loves to be on the hunt. I have no doubt he can be a help when necessary. Heck, he hunts lizards like nobodies business now. Grin And when he escapes and runs, its because of that dang nose of his is huntin something.

I think he is already preparred, it is the wife and I who need to be more preparred.  Tongue

Don't get me started on my Jack-Russell's instincts. He is trying to pull moles out the ground every morning. Cheesy

The question is, how do they prepare us? Wink
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:06:38 PM by 40Cal Joe » Logged

My weapons locker is filled with
More guns than I need
But not all that I want.
penguinofdoom

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »

We took our dog with us to Galveston a couple weeks ago and took him to the ocean. He was so cute in his little life vest and he loves the water now! Really glad I got him the life vest with all the rain and flooding over the last day here if I needed to evacuate I can't navigate a bag, a cat carrier, and a dog in the carrier. I know I can put him in his vest and he'll be able to stay afloat on his own. He's well trained and will come to me if he's capable or I can even put his leash on and wrap it around my wrist or loop through my belt if I need to tow him along.

'Like one, that on a lonely road doth walk in fear and dread, and having turn'd round, walks on and turns no more his head, because he knows a frightful fiend doth close behind him tread.' - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 02:11:53 PM »

I like the Belgian Malinois and in my opinion, these are dogs that can become excellent survival assets too.

Belgian Malinois OdaK9 Protection Training Small | Large

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
midge

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 05:42:20 PM »

I like mutts. They get short shrift too often. Just a good ol' mutt. It almost always breeds out the bad traits of the purebreds.
though I also like black Labradors. Just an all-over handsome and good natured dog.

All the world is Mad, save Thee and me, and at times me thinks that Thou art also Mad.
penguinofdoom

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »

I absolutely adore german sherpherds. I wonder if I can find a place to adopt one or two retiring police trained dogs when we get a place with a yard.

'Like one, that on a lonely road doth walk in fear and dread, and having turn'd round, walks on and turns no more his head, because he knows a frightful fiend doth close behind him tread.' - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
40Cal Joe

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »

Midge, "mutts as you call them" are always loyal and smart from my experience.

Penguinoofdoom, the GS I had as a teenager was the BEST dog I ever had. I love em. However my stupid homeowners insurance want insure me if I have one. Angry

Bob, I don't any personal experience with Belgian's except from friends and associates. They appear to be every bit the animal the German Sheppard is, determined, smart and loyal. I would have one in a second as well.

My weapons locker is filled with
More guns than I need
But not all that I want.
mbarnatl
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 01:17:05 PM »

Here is a site for making a basic first aid kit for a dog http://www.milesandemma.com/2012/09/make-your-own-dog-medical-kit.html

"The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Prepare for Tomorrow
http://www.facebook.com/mbarnatl
http://twitter.com/mbarnatl
FighterDoc

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »

That's a good list mbarnatl, thanks!  Of course, I think that's a great start for a people FAK too (including the muzzle)!
The USAF, and many militaries around the world use the German Shepherd, as much for their trainability and skills as for their appearance.  The malinois seems to do better in the heat, but doesn't have as imposing of an appearance.  Of course, either of these (in fact, almost any medium/big dog) should be considered as a prep that is a friend too!  They're great for theft deterrence, basic alarm, companion and someone who will get the paper when it is cold outside without whining about it!   

I will no longer accept the things I cannot change...I will now change the things I cannot accept!

FighterDoc
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: