Today's Survival Show Forum
November 22, 2017, 09:29:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the survival mentality make you more minimalistic?  (Read 2570 times)
CX

« on: October 03, 2009, 03:11:32 AM »

I've discussed this elsewhere in the past, but i am interested to hear the opinions of people here too.

I'm not sure if it's a bad thing or not, but since becoming interested in preparedness/survival, i seem to be more interested in getting rid of the unnecessary clutter in my house. Things i really do not need or use regularly, they are binned to make way for the basics that will help me and the kids.

OK this is a long ongoing process, but it's definitely something i feel happening here.

It's like I'm getting the house ready for some big event, now that could be a survival situation or maybe something as ordinary as a house move (that is on the cards in the future).

Don't get me wrong, i love slowly getting rid of the clutter that's been building for ages, I'm a hoarder and always think something will come in handy one day. My mindset recently has been geared towards just two things recently, my girls welfare and education, and preparedness.

I just wondered if anyone else feels this pull to focus more on preparedness and less on the wastefull things in life?

CX.
mbarnatl
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 07:09:47 AM »

I feel the same way CX. The thing I notice is that I don't impulse buy any more. I noticed that I have more money in the credit union savings account now for emergencies. I like it now that I don't have to look for hours for something. You don't have to stress as much when the weather warnings come along. It just makes life easier and less stressful. I buy things that have multi uses if possible, in return saves money.

"The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Prepare for Tomorrow
http://www.facebook.com/mbarnatl
http://twitter.com/mbarnatl
Ghostrider247
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 07:11:48 AM »

I totally agree.  I find myself getting rid of unnecessary crap all the time.  Then I generally get something new and have to find a spot for it.  LOL  Grin

But yes, since I began to really start prepping and such I have really changed my whole mindset toward alot of things.  Mostly for the better.

Survival is NOT a kit! Survival is NOT a plan! Survival IS a philosophy!
Lazy people DO NOT prosper!

http://www.youtube.com/user/charper3006
CX

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 08:06:42 AM »

Glad it's not just me, thanks for the replies.  Smiley

I know what you mean about the impulse buying, i go a bit adrift with buying items that are to do with survival/preparedness, but otherwise i don't just jump in there with buying things i really don't need.

CX.

dilligaf
livvin it n luvvin it

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 08:23:16 AM »

we are minimalists to begin with,very little furniture,  minimal clothes,  no rugs, not curtains, no tvs,   no video games, , no ac,  outhouse use, outdoor shower,  etc around...We choose that.. Smiley

but at the same time while growing most all our own foods here on the land it requires we have a lot of  stuff around that most  folks wouldnt think of having lay around their home..

I have boxes  and boxes of jars  everywhere.. Canning requires many jars... we live in small shack ..  

canned veggies n  fruits are everywhere, again it requires a lot of space...

Empty old containers  from  sauces n dressing to spices are sitting in boxes waiting to be filled.. when you dont buy much from a store,  you dont get many  containers  anymore so one must collect these babies for a long time so you have containers for your stuff..

Seeds and drying things are everywhere..  To do what we do you save your seed..  we garden year round so   i have racks n towels and tables full of them in various stages of preservation.. We grow beans and they  need to dry,  as  okra and corn and  herbs etc also need drying.. We live in mtns of ga,  which means a lot of humid wet weather...This means i have all this scattered about in  places in order to preserve them ..  

then of course we have a few preps ... so they are everywhere in various places in there boxes..

and we have the reference books to look  back on if needed and  our notes n cookbooks

So even though we are minimalistic  ya still dont get around the clutter and stuff.. It just is a different kind of clutter  and one most folks would never allow in their home...  Cheesy
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 08:32:54 AM »

Well..... I guess I kind of go both ways here. Since I've started prepping. I am cleaning out stuff i don't need/use anymore. Got rid of a fish tank that has set empty in our living room for several months.  In place of it I bought a set of shelves to organize Cd's and DVD's  So I can add MORE instructional stuff to help me in prepping. I also add every week to my Emergency supplies. We have reached my first goal of three months worth of supplies. Food, hygeine, etc. next step is six months supply. I am starting to look seriously at solar panels. Plus the usual "buys"

If I can help one person to get prepared, If I can through my knowledge and prevent them from making the mistakes I have made. If I can help just one person to obtain the knowledge that will save their life or the life of a loved one. Then I will know that the time and work I have invested was and is worth every minute spent.
stuckinarut

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »

I think it's very hard in a society like ours to get people into a minimalistic mentality.  We have so much stuff, my wife was freakin' out one day cause we left the front door open when we ran an errand.  OK, I don't want to run into anyone robbing my home but hey, I have to admitt I was thinking....oh sweet I wonder if all our 'stuff' was taken out for me!?  lol

That's the way I feel about all our stuff....but for some reason having a prepardness mindset I just want to make my home more efficient.  I posted earlier that I was going to reinsulate, possibly put up a radient barier and now I'm contemplating new windows.  I guess in the back of my mind I can see energy costs sky rocketing and I just don't ever see energy costs going down dropping.

Does anyone else out there feel that way?

"If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!"
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »

I've become more minimalistic for sure.  I just don't care about the "stuff" anymore like I use to.  If I have my health, my family has their health and well fed, sheltered and clothed, I'm not sure what else is more important?  Old cliche, but the truth.

Learning to do without or do with little and constantly putting myself in the survivalist mindset, makes my mind get more creative about doing more with less.  So therefore, I don't feel I need more.

That's why I say, "small minds" talk about things...

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: