Today's Survival Show Forum
April 30, 2017, 03:26:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Next step: Get home bag  (Read 14722 times)
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »

Mark, this thread is a great example of continuing to prep and move in the right direction even if things don't happen quite as fast as we would like them to.  You clearly have ideas of what you want in the bag and are making great progress toward your goal.  Inspirational!

I still need to do some figuring on my get home routes.  Where I work is surrounded by urban sprawl, so about 50% of my stroll home would have to through that.  I'm looking at where the small streams and bayous run to see if I can kinda covertly mozey along those for some distance.

I am also looking to replace my LCR357 in there for something different.  I like to carry my 1911's, but they're kinda too big to fit in the bag as well (important to me), so I'm looking at a baby Glock or some other form of polymer higher capacity 9 mm or similar in the $500 range.  I like the Karh CW45 (I'm obviously a 45ACP fan), but the trigger is a wayyyyyyyyy looooong puuuuulllllll of which I'm not too fussy about.  I'll have to see if one of the gun shops has one for rental and at least give it a try before I write it off I suppose.  Someone suggested a CZ P07 duty (3.8" barrel, 16+1 9mm), which looks good but I cringe at $45 a mag!

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 06:28:48 AM »

Mark I carry a 45ACP daily. Ether a 1911 or an XD with 1-2 mags on my side depending on the model.

I have a small pistol bag in my vehicle that holds 6-8 spare magazines with holsters and a vacuum sealed bag (100) of ammo.

The 1911 mags obviously run 7-8 rounds.

The XD runs 13. The XD is preferred for capacity and performance. It is outside the waist band. The 1911 is slimmer so it is more concealable and is considered my compact even though it is full service size inside out outside the waist.

My thought is that if you can conceal a compact you can usually conceal a full size with a little more practice.

Better to have it and not need it Then need it and not have it.
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »

Well, I've come to find over the past while that the maxpedition bag is a) not waterproof at all b) cannot carry a whole lot of extra odds n' ends.  To that end, I picked up a bag on sale at REI.  It was normally around $100, but it went on sale for $39.99 for Christmas, so I got it and a hydration pack for it.  I also vacuum packed a shift of clothes (jeans, multiple socks, t-shirt, tennis shoes) since I would probably initially be in my office clothes.  Walking any distance in hard shoes, dockers, and a polo probably wouldn't be the best way to go.

Here it is repacked with a few other extra items next to the maxpedition bag.

I've repacked it a couple of ways with extra medical stuff and a few more food/water items.  I'm finding that even though it carries better, it doesn't seem to have enough pocketed areas to separate stuff out.  I put everything in baggies and such to keep it all organized, but it just....I dunno....meh...doesn't 'fit up' as well as the maxpedition did.  That bag had bunches of separate compartments.  Got me some more pondering to do, I suppose.

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: