Today's Survival Show Forum
April 26, 2017, 12:29:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's mine...  (Read 27341 times)
maustypsu

Who is John Galt?

« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »

I want one of those .22lr conversion kits for my Glocks.

I let one slip away recently that was way under priced.  Of course the one I was looking at was for a real gun - 1911, not those goofy plastic pistols..   Shocked   Wink

Great survival gun based on .22 ammo being so inexpensive.  If you took a shotgun out for a deer hunt but ran across some small game, you could have a .22.  It would also be a familiar gun to you and with one set of back up parts for much of the gun.  Plus between now and TEOTWAWKI, you can save a bunch of money shooting your favorite frame - even if that is a Glock!
40Cal Joe

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2010, 08:49:21 AM »

I let one slip away recently that was way under priced.  Of course the one I was looking at was for a real gun - 1911, not those goofy plastic pistols..   Shocked   Wink

You mean like this? I love my "polymer guns" but I love my steel guns alot. I saw a Kimber CDP with Crimson Trace in my gun favorite store for $900. I went back a day later to get it, and it was gone. Angry

My weapons locker is filled with
More guns than I need
But not all that I want.
mjollnir
Mr. Nice Guy

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2010, 02:50:28 PM »

You mean like this? I love my "polymer guns" but I love my steel guns alot. I saw a Kimber CDP with Crimson Trace in my gun favorite store for $900. I went back a day later to get it, and it was gone. Angry

Look on the bright side Joe........ at least you can put that $900 towards 9 hi-points or the like.  Grin

Victory favors not the righteous nor the wicked, only the prepared.
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2010, 05:10:13 PM »

Nice 1911 is that a Springfield?

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
40Cal Joe

« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2010, 06:55:38 AM »

mjollnir, good one Cheesy.

Bob, yes that is a Springer, Loaded model. It is the newest 1911 I have.

More guns than I need
But not all that I want.
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2010, 07:10:51 AM »

Here's some of mine sorry pics aren't the best.

* 271.JPG (375.83 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 353 times.)

* 306.JPG (2456.53 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 328 times.)

* 304.JPG (2460.53 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 333 times.)

If I can help one person to get prepared, If I can through my knowledge and prevent them from making the mistakes I have made. If I can help just one person to obtain the knowledge that will save their life or the life of a loved one. Then I will know that the time and work I have invested was and is worth every minute spent.
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2010, 07:13:04 AM »

Also a updated pic of my BOV  it's the one on the right.

* IMG_0010.JPG (1449.11 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 340 times.)

If I can help one person to get prepared, If I can through my knowledge and prevent them from making the mistakes I have made. If I can help just one person to obtain the knowledge that will save their life or the life of a loved one. Then I will know that the time and work I have invested was and is worth every minute spent.
40Cal Joe

« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2010, 05:39:03 AM »

Nice job sir.  Grin

More guns than I need
But not all that I want.
oldsoldier
Global Moderator

« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2010, 07:15:42 AM »

Nice job sir.  Grin

Thanks

FragChaser
Gladiator of the Gun

« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2011, 08:36:31 AM »

New to the forum and missed this one, ...guess its time to take some pix.....BRB

I'm just sayin'
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »

Reviving this.  Yugo AK underfolder!

72 rounds of fun.

Co-witnessed new rear peep sight and red dot.

100 yards, sighting in off sand bags.  ~4 MOA AK.  I'm generally a 2 MOA irons shooter, so I can live with that.

Offhand at 15 yards fast fire.

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2014, 05:30:06 AM »

Mark after our interview the other day I got to thinking about an AK which I don't have.

I am thinking about getting one. I am already an AR Guy. But I see that the ammo is cheap and the functionality is reliable.

What can they be gotten for and is there anything in particular to look or shop for and on the flip side anything to stay away from.

I am looking at the AK and not the SKS mainly because of the detachable magazine without all the modifications.

Thanks Bud

Better to have it and not need it Then need it and not have it.
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2014, 05:33:33 AM »

That looks just like my 45. I love that grip. I use my 1911 as a concealed carry gun because it is so thin.
Been saving lives since 1911

Better to have it and not need it Then need it and not have it.
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »

Mark after our interview the other day I got to thinking about an AK which I don't have.

I am thinking about getting one. I am already an AR Guy. But I see that the ammo is cheap and the functionality is reliable.

What can they be gotten for and is there anything in particular to look or shop for and on the flip side anything to stay away from.

I am looking at the AK and not the SKS mainly because of the detachable magazine without all the modifications.

Thanks Bud

When I was looking into getting mine, I soon found out that it's a literal plethroa  of options.  Too many to even track, really.  Like ARs, there are certain nick-nacks that'll help in getting you in the right direction, but there's never anything ideal.  For example, the one I got comes in about 4 different variants, of which only one has the heavy receiver I was looking for which in turn was also known to have a front sight that might be cocked over to one side.  Others were lighter recievers but had good sights BUT would then have sloppy mag locks.  Geeze.  One thing I didn't realize is that my Yugo is NOT a standard AK as it pertains to furniture.  It will not take standard AK handguards and such.  Even the mags are different as there are Yugo mags that'll do a bolt hold-open whereas many do not.  Not a big deal, but now you get the picture:  things are complicated as so many countries made their own versions.

There are a couple of things to look for:
- Mag well is centered.
- Dimples in the reciever (help lock in the mag)
- Front sight is vertical/straight (even new builds have an issue with this sometimes)
- A TAPCO trigger, identified with a "G2" on the trigger itself will indicate a US made trigger group is in there.  They are much nicer than the as-issued ones.
- Obviously milled are better than stamped/folded recievers, but they'll be heavier.
- I don't know about any others, but y Yugo has a heavier reciever (1.5mm vs 0.9-1.0 mm thick).  Again, this matters to me as I prefer brute strength over super-duper lightness.
- You can't really accessorize them.  There's a few things you can do with them, but don't think you're going to go all tacticool like an AR.
- Some receivers are tapped/drilled on the sides to allow mounting of optics.  I didn't care since I just ploppped a cheapie red dot on mine.
- They are moderately accurate.  I can hit what I'm pointing at without much effort out to 200 yards, but the holes are all over the place.  They are, however, 30-cal holes!

BTW, mine has shot everything I've fed it without issue which is as expected from the AK system.  All (Tula, Wolf, Hornady, Winchester, Surplus) shot between 3-4MOA.  Recoil is not that bad considering it's 30-cal.  It's certainly less than my FAL (308) and definitely less than an M1A.  If that's a problem, it takes about 20 seconds to swap out the muzzle brake and there are many different types available.

Anyways, I would expect a decent AK to go for $450-$550.  That'll get you one which should at least have a new barrel.  Everything else is not real relevant as, like you say, they're simple machines.  If you can't fix/mod it yourself, it'll be pretty easy to find someone who can without much cost.

ARFCOM has a great write up here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/141256_The_AK_Buyer_s_Guide___A_Beginner_s_Guide_to_the_AK_Platform__ask_all_new_AK_questions_in_here_.html

Personally, if I were to get another one, I'd see about either a high end one (Arsenal SGL or SAM series) or a good 'ole WASER 10.  Knowing what you're into, I'd suggest a WASER 10.  I believe this is what Brannam is running and he loves it since it just won't die and shoots pefectly fine for it's intended purpose.

A couple of places, outside of gunbroker and texasguntrader (where the prices are high but will give you an idea) are:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/
http://www.jgsales.com/ (where I got mine)
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/
http://www.aimsurplus.com/

Here's mine as arrived from JG Sales.

To be honest, the big thing for me was that swapping out of the blade sight for a peep sight.  I just can't use blades sights well at all.  The rest of the alterations were just  for something to do.  Nothing made the rifle any more effective or more fun to shoot.

By the way, Magpul makes polymer AK mags now and they work great.  Typical Magpul quality and locks up solid in my AK.  Add to that, they're cheaper than many of the surplus mags (about 12 bucks vs 15-20 depending on they type/condition).

Hope this helps, and good luck.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:51:34 AM by markthenewf » Logged

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: