Today's Survival Show Forum
November 22, 2017, 09:29:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydroponics and indoor growing  (Read 4377 times)
Amigatec

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »

A question or two. As my wife is teaching me most about gardening I just build and dig where she wants hehe, shes told me that most plants grown in seasons. With hydroponics can you grow tomatoes all year long. Or something like cauliflower or broccoli which I if I understand right are winter crops, will they not grow because of the warmer temp indoors? Just curious it seems interesting if maybe the benefits outweigh the start-up cost.
I need to update this topic so I will start here.

With Hydroponics the plant depend entirely on you, you set the climate and atmosphere. If they like cooler weather you can provide that. I grow Hydroponically in the wintertime and tend to grow cool weather crops. I keep the window open to keep the room cool, if was doing it in the summer I could install an AC unit to do the same thing. The biggest limitation is the size of your growing area. My Growlight is a 400 watt unit and only covers about 4X4 foot area so I am limited that way. My tray in about 16X24 so I don't have a lot of room. Cauiflower and broccoli would do very well in just a hoophouse in the backyard during the fall and early spring, but do to the small of the plants you would use a lot of space for just a plant or 2. I let my Brussels Sprouts grow one fall and was out there in February picking Sprouts. I tried to grow a Tomato last year but the plant got out of control very quickly, this year I am growing plants that don't require as much light. My lettuce did very well and I had several nice salads from them, now I am growing spinach. The biggest cost is the electricity to run the Growlight, mine costs about $20 a month. The nutrients I am using are reasonable in cost. This is by far the easiest garden I have ever had. Of course i have a webcam in the Hydro room and am using a computer to control the Growlight and floodpump, heck if even sends messages to phone when there is a problem.  Grin

Another thing to think about is pollination. If you grow lettuce this is no problem, but tomatoes and cucumbers you will have to hand pollinate if you want fruit.

I think my Tractors Sexy......
It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »

Here is what I have currently in the Hydroroom.

My spinach, the celery, my banana plant and my Pineapple plant.

* Spinach.jpg (99.49 KB, 640x480 - viewed 230 times.)

* Celery.jpg (73.9 KB, 640x480 - viewed 240 times.)

* Banana.jpg (43.44 KB, 640x480 - viewed 240 times.)

* Pineapple.jpg (62.32 KB, 640x480 - viewed 256 times.)

It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 07:04:21 PM »

Here is the software package I am using. It's called Growtronix. It runs on Windows, but as you can see, I have a Client portion running on my Mac.  Cool

In the first picture at the the Power Module, the temp sensor and the humidity sensor, the second picture is the controllable outlet, the third is the Cleint software runing on my Mac, (via Parallels Desktop and Windows XP). and the fourth picture is the grow journal.

* GT-1.jpg (58.21 KB, 640x480 - viewed 230 times.)

* GT-2.jpg (53.6 KB, 640x480 - viewed 214 times.)

* GT-3.jpg (40.07 KB, 640x480 - viewed 235 times.)

* GT-4.jpg (33.59 KB, 640x480 - viewed 237 times.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:08:21 PM by Amigatec » Logged

It really turns me on!!!
stuckinarut

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 02:49:10 PM »

That is really a pretty good setup you have! 

"If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!"
Amigatec

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »

I plan to us this to control the water in the pumpkin patch next year.

It really turns me on!!!
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »

Amigatec, so cool, is your equipment.  Your photography is excellent too.  Speaking of growing your pumpkins next year, think you can beat your record?

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Amigatec

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 07:17:41 PM »

Next year I am going for 1000 lbs. My biggest problem this year was keeping enough water in the soil. I work 18 miles away, and I don't know for sure if I have enough water going to the patch. With this setup I can also buy a soil moisture probe and a soil temperature probe. I should be able to control the water better.

I will be posting my progress on my blog http://www.amigatec.net/Oklahoma_Giant_Pumpkins/Welcome.html

It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »

Well it's time I updated this topic. I have cleaned out the Hydro room and got all the kids stuff out, so now I have more room. I have moved the Ebb & Flow system over to the side,

and the have the Deep Water Culture and the Waterfarm setting side beside. The Waterfarm is the brown one.

My Pineapple has a fruit on it. Look closely in the middle and you can see it. Right in front of the fruit you can see the Ratoon, that's another fruit that will form.

I am currently using my old timers to the run the E&F, I will have to buy longer cords to run them from the Growtronix System.

I am not sure what to plant yet, but I am going to buy a 150 watt CFL bulb and fixture and hang it over the DWC and the WF.

The http://www.amigatec.net/webcam/index.html Hydrocam is still working and I will change the view from time to time.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:00:30 PM by Amigatec » Logged

It really turns me on!!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: