Today's Survival Show Forum
November 22, 2017, 09:33:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hydroponics and indoor growing  (Read 4378 times)
Amigatec

« on: September 20, 2009, 07:17:56 AM »

I have been doing Hydroponics for a couple of years now, and if you have limited space and can't grow outside this is perfect for you.

I can give you tips and advise, but I am by no means an expert on the subject.

DISCLAIMER: I feel I need to post this first, Hydroponics have been given a bad reputation by a group that choose to grow plants that the Federal and State Governments have defined as illegal. As with any thing Hydroponics can be used for growing Veggies and well as illegal plants. I do not and will not offer advice on anything plants that are illegal. There are enough sites on the Web for those types of growers. This will be my last post on growing anything that is illegal.

I think my Tractors Sexy......
It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:36:01 AM »

I will start with a few Questions and Answers about this first.

Q: Is growing Hydroponically expensive?

A: It can expensive when first getting started, but after the equipment has been purchased the cost is very reasonable.

Q: Do Hydroponically grown Veggies taste like Chemicals?

A: Not at all, I normally flush mine with fresh water for a week before harvest.

Q: What equipment do I need?

A: A table to support it, a tray to grow in, a reservoir to hold the nutrient solution, nutrients, growing medium, growlight, and pumps and timers.

Q: How much space does it take?

A: A little or a lot, depends on how much room you devote to it.

Q: What can be grown?

A: Most any variety of veggie can be grown, but mostly smaller varieties work better.

I will add more Q&A later....

It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 07:38:47 AM »

For those that what to monitor my progress this winter here is a link to my Hydro garden.

http://www.amigatec.net/webcam/index.html

It really turns me on!!!
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 07:14:37 PM »

Good stuff Amigatec!  I'm gonna keep an eye on your Hydroponics webcam.  This is a subject I know very little about, so keep the information rolling.

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Amigatec

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »

This is really an easy way to grow once past the setup cost it gets cheaper to operate.

It really turns me on!!!
stuckinarut

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »

You know, I looked into hydorponics for a while but I just didn't 'get it'  I guess.  I guess the main benefit is if you don't have soil or you don't have good soil.  They talk about hydroponics for space stations I think and that makes sense to me...but maybe you can answer this Amigatec what are the real benefits?

"If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!"
Caldonnox

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 01:04:32 AM »

A question or two. As my wife is teaching me most about gardening I just build and dig where she wants hehe, shes told me that most plants grown in seasons. With hydroponics can you grow tomatoes all year long. Or something like cauliflower or broccoli which I if I understand right are winter crops, will they not grow because of the warmer temp indoors? Just curious it seems interesting if maybe the benefits outweigh the start-up cost.
Amigatec

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 04:27:54 PM »

You can grow almost anything Hydroponically. You control everything. You can grow outside if you want. I tend to grow things that don't take a lot of space.

It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »

You know, I looked into hydorponics for a while but I just didn't 'get it'  I guess.  I guess the main benefit is if you don't have soil or you don't have good soil.  They talk about hydroponics for space stations I think and that makes sense to me...but maybe you can answer this Amigatec what are the real benefits?

There really are a lot of benefits to it. With no soil there are are no soil diseases, and not dirt to wash off the plants. You can grow in a closet, a basement, on the patio, or even outside.

The plants don't spend as much energy growing roots and looking for nutrients and water, so the roots tend to much more compact. The plants tend to healthier because you have feed them better and the bugs don't eat the plants.

I just bought a growroom control software package to run it from computer, so now I can control it better.

It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 04:47:35 PM »

A question or two. As my wife is teaching me most about gardening I just build and dig where she wants hehe, shes told me that most plants grown in seasons. With hydroponics can you grow tomatoes all year long. Or something like cauliflower or broccoli which I if I understand right are winter crops, will they not grow because of the warmer temp indoors? Just curious it seems interesting if maybe the benefits outweigh the start-up cost.

Tomato's tend to take a lot of room and need more light, my biggest limitation is my growlight. A 400 watt light only covers about a 4X4 area. I need to buy a light mover.

It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 05:12:29 PM »

I am in the process of uploading pictures to Phototbucket about how I built my Ebb & Flow system. But it may be a few days before I can finish.

It really turns me on!!!
stuckinarut

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 07:39:42 AM »

hmm, that's cool.  I just wish I had more room!  Outside, Inside....man someday I want a house with a basement and more land.  That would be a big help.  Anyway, I'd like to see your pics when you get them up.

"If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!"
Amigatec

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »

Ok here is my first Hydroponic Garden Setup, called a DWC or Deep Water Culture.

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/amigatec/DWC/?action=view&current=Hydro_1_2.jpg

Here is my second and the first one I built from scratch. called an Ebb & Flow or Flood and Drain system.

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/amigatec/Flood%20and%20Drain/?action=view&current=HydroTray_4_2.jpg

And here is the meter I use.

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/amigatec/Meter/?action=view&current=Meter_2_2.jpg

I will post pictures of my Growlight in a bit.

It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »

Ok here is the Growlight I am using.

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/amigatec/GrowLight/?action=view&current=GrowLIght_1_2.jpg

It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »

As you can tell I have done a LOT of research on this.

These are just examples of what you can do.

But you have to find a system that works for you, and something that you can grow easily.

It really turns me on!!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: