Today's Survival Show Forum
October 17, 2017, 09:51:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartering  (Read 9039 times)
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« on: March 11, 2011, 08:05:19 AM »

You may have heard Matt Czosnek (from the last episode) discuss a bartering deal with me?  Knife sharpening for a copy of my "Survival Champions Club" podcast?  I'm going to work out  a deal with him.  I was impressed that he opened a barter negotiation with me right in the middle of the interview!  Cool, I like it, you don't get much unless you ask for it.

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
maustypsu

Who is John Galt?

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »

You may have heard Matt Czosnek (from the last episode) discuss a bartering deal with me?  Knife sharpening for a copy of my "Survival Champions Club" podcast?  I'm going to work out  a deal with him.  I was impressed that he opened a barter negotiation with me right in the middle of the interview!  Cool, I like it, you don't get much unless you ask for it.

So true!  I'm amazed at the times and places that people don't ask for a discount or a deal.  I've gotten managers at Wal Mart and other big boxes to give me a discount on large purchases.  I've bartered with people who asked a cash price and hadn't even considered a barter until I made the right offer.  I think bartering is the best way to improve the overall value on both sides of the transaction. 
seekortry

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »

Bartering in that sense simply is not a component of our culture. If you ever travel to Southwest Asia, North Africa, or possibly Turkey, you will *definitely* see that type of bartering. The kind of bartering that, until very recently, *was* a major part of our culture is trade; i.e. I will trade you two barrels of my cornmeal for forty pounds of your salt. The is nothing wrong with either forms but the former type of bartering will be met with a negative response by many people. I suppose you have nothing to lose. If they don't want to barter, then you still pay the listed price. The latter type of barter is extremely important and I think we should all develop the ability to do this. Things may get tight here pretty soon and it will make a heck of a lot more sense to trade between people in your community rather than sell something for money and then use that money to purchase what you need elsewhere. That might seem trivial to us now but it may not always be practical. We already trade in high value items like knives. This practice can easily be adapted to most other nondisposable items we own.

If the USD collapses, you will see pretty fast how well barter can work.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 09:06:54 PM by seekortry » Logged
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:33:38 PM »

They key to bartering pre - SHTF is ...you have to ask.  No one's going to volunteer a discount (If they are smart) but sometimes the fact that you asked, you might just catch them in the right mood.  I used to cringe when I was a kid, because my Mom was a master negotiator and still is.  It rubbed off.

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: