Today's Survival Show Forum
November 22, 2017, 09:33:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Food Storage: MICE!!!  (Read 4583 times)
ravenwolf31

« on: February 25, 2011, 03:09:33 PM »

Here, found a good vid on dealing with mice.

Neighborhood Survival Pt 61, Keep mouse traps set!

"The Swede's" Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/stayingawake20

If a man lose ev'rything he owns
Has he truly lost his worth?
Or is it the beginning
Of a new and brighter birth? -- Through Heavens's Eyes, Prince of Egypt Soundtrack.

Preppers: We are the type that for when the world hands us lemons, we make beef stew. Then we just sit back and watch while everyone else wonders how the hell we got beef stew out of lemons. Oh and we are willing to teach them how we did it. -- Ravenwolf

The Wolf Den My Blog
midge

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:12:44 AM »

Good warning. Check the Back Sides of packages. Everything "looks good", and you pick it up only to find mice AND food pouring out a hole in the bottom or back.  If you have a cat or two, leave a 4 inch alley between wall and shelf so cats can sneak back there. (Ok, 6 inches for fat cats)  If rats or possums or raccoons are frequent in your area be sure to examine even plastic tubs and containers. They can chew through thick plastic in a night.

If you have holes they can sneak into the house, like around water pipes, stuff it with steelwool. They won't chew that and pull it out. Powdered hot pepper in suspicious spots helps, though truth to tell, some rodents learn to like it. It's no guarantee.   

All the world is Mad, save Thee and me, and at times me thinks that Thou art also Mad.
phuttan

Evil CO2 Exhaler

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:49:39 AM »

Thanks. That's an informative video. I'm a cat man. Feed and water them where you expect or notice problems and they generally keep the problems away.

Pat

Live free, speak the truth, love completely, die hard.

I bother because if no one speaks out, the brain washers win without a fight.
atomic17
Proudly Canadian

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:33:41 AM »

im wondering; can i get a German Shepard and a cat, or do i need to choose?

להיות עם חפשי בארצנו
midge

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »

Get them both, Atomic. Get them both young, and referee disagreements at first. They'll learn in a few days to get along, and sometimes become best buddies. Or, introduce a young dog to an older cat. The cat will try to destroy the dog, then learn it can't and leave it alone. The dog will always consider the cat the dominant animal just because it was there first.

All the world is Mad, save Thee and me, and at times me thinks that Thou art also Mad.
atomic17
Proudly Canadian

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:24:25 PM »

Get them both, Atomic. Get them both young, and referee disagreements at first. They'll learn in a few days to get along, and sometimes become best buddies. Or, introduce a young dog to an older cat. The cat will try to destroy the dog, then learn it can't and leave it alone. The dog will always consider the cat the dominant animal just because it was there first.

Cool thanks man. Cant wait till i move out and can get pets. ATM my mom is allergic to everything except those little hypoallergenic dogs...

להיות עם חפשי בארצנו
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »

Good topic.

I do all my dry goods in food grade buckets and dry ice seal them.
All my cans and Jars ashould also be covered with card board to try and keep the critters off my stuff.

I keep bait and traps in my shop too.

Always, Always keep your dry goods safe.

* HDPE Food Grade.JPG (2182.71 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 192 times.)

* Dry Food Buckets.JPG (2105.15 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 202 times.)

Better to have it and not need it Then need it and not have it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: