Today's Survival Show Forum
May 24, 2017, 06:32:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ahhhh...the little piggies  (Read 7792 times)
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« on: September 08, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »

OK...tell us about your feral hog ammo.  Think I can get away with using my .357 again?  I've heard of people shooting them with an AR and some say you have to have a 30-06. 

What do you think?

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
shazbutt53

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:24:12 PM »

I'm in!  Why not a shotgun slug?

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.
-Samuel Adams
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »

Slugs work just fine too.  Big hole, lots of power, poor piggie...

To know that even one life has breathed easier because I have lived, that is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Ghostrider247
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 06:18:14 AM »

I think the shotgun with either slugs or buckshot works good. I have seen several hogs killed with buckshot.  Or, 30-30, .44 mag I think are good calibers too.  Generally here, the hogs are going to be close and in brushy areas, so something like a 30-06 in my opinion is not what you want.  Hogs can be pretty agressive too, so you want something that is going to stop them quick also.  Some I have seen use a 45-70, and .454 casull.  There is also a video on youtube of a guy who shot a hog with a .44 mag in the head and it didnt do anything.  Shocked 

Survival is NOT a kit! Survival is NOT a plan! Survival IS a philosophy!
Lazy people DO NOT prosper!

http://www.youtube.com/user/charper3006
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:08:44 PM »

Can you find that video and post a link Ghost?

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Key

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:54:53 AM »

For the past 6 years my buddies and I travel to Texas each Feb. to hunt hogs. We hunt them with bows.
Great time and they are very good eating.
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:55:10 AM »

Key, what part of Texas?  Yes they are good eating.  I've got a friend that bow hunts deer and hogs in South Texas.  He makes some sausage out of those feral hogs that's awesome!   Cheesy

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
40Cal Joe

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:41:36 AM »

10mm is a very good pistol for taking down game. Of course, should be used as a backup to a long gun. And an AR will do just fine against wild pigs. Although I don't hunt, many of friends do, and the majority of them carry a sidearm in chest rigs for back up. Them little piggies are mean nasty critters.

And as odd as this may sound, we have Coyotes all over the place here in central FL. Many nights I can hear them howling and carrying on across the lake. Never had any run ins with them but I always carry my .45 and phone in a waist pack when I walk in the evenings.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:09:38 AM by 40Cal Joe » Logged

My weapons locker is filled with
More guns than I need
But not all that I want.
Todays Survival Show
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 06:48:09 PM »

10mm is good for taking down just about anything!  (Back up to rifle of course.)  Ted Nugent has been known to hunt with his Glock 20.

www.todayssurvival.com
Bob@todayssurvival.com
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »

Ghostrider I was listening to your interviews today. Great data you put out.

I hunt hogs all the time so let me give you my brown opinion.

Fast expanding ammo tends to expand on the outer shell. Hogs are armored and just tough to kill.

I use FMJ and do head shots. The head is hard to penetrate at point blank ranges with a pistol so go for the most solid round you can find.

An auto loader is needed for more then one shot in cover. I have used 7mmMag. 223 single shots as well as my AR. 9mm and 45.

Bolt action big guns are great for open ranges. Revolver hunting rigs are good for the single shots. You may get a second shot but its rare.

Nothing less then a 223 rifle and there is no maximum. I hit one with a 120mm and it was awesome.
On the pistols I would not go less then a 45ACP, 44Mag and ya a .357 would work with a 180grain bullet or better. 40 may work I am not real up on that caliber (it's a wildcat to me).

I once hit a big hog with a 150grain 7MM Mag at 75 yards chest shot and had to follow up at 20feet with the same rifle. I carried a pistol after that as a back up.

If anyone wants to talk about some hunts I may be able to set some up from time to time. My freezer is full.

Black hog was one of a pair I shot with the 7mm. That was the one that took the follow up shot.

The red one is the one I shot in the eye with a 223 sigle shot and stood by me while I shot its siblings. took a few more shots at point blank and it took awhile to die.

Bob I have a buddy by you who may be able to take you as well.

* Joe blk300# hangin.jpg (9.71 KB, 117x176 - viewed 276 times.)

* Joe red hog down.jpg (15.38 KB, 220x145 - viewed 283 times.)

Better to have it and not need it Then need it and not have it.
FighterDoc

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »

OK, I know this is an old post, and ol' hog tails are always up for a little exaggeration, but I gotta be honest, hunting feral hogs with a 120mm might have been a bit much!
"Nothing less then a 223 rifle and there is no maximum. I hit one with a 120mm and it was awesome."

I fully agree that it would be awesome, but won't land you much on a plate.  It will be all over creation, so some might land on your plate if you were lucky... Grin

I will no longer accept the things I cannot change...I will now change the things I cannot accept!

FighterDoc
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 05:59:29 AM »

LOL.
Ya Doc the 120mm was in Germany on the Abrams Gunnery Range. I thought it was a Moving PC. They are the size of a VW Jetta over there.

FighterDoc

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 05:38:12 PM »

Nice!  Instant bacon bits!

I will no longer accept the things I cannot change...I will now change the things I cannot accept!

FighterDoc
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 06:46:20 AM »

LOL.

And now I learned how to can bacon for long term storage so there ya go.

Need to put the Piggies on the shelf for when TSHTF

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: