Today's Survival Show Forum
April 30, 2017, 03:30:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generator fuel types pros and cons  (Read 6215 times)
Amigatec

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 04:28:08 PM »

Sorry, but thats illogical to the point of violating the laws of physics. in both cases the lethal gases, CO and NOx are exactly the same chemically. so they will behave identically as they exit the generator. I somehow doubt that the change in exhaust temperature between the fuels is enough to make a difference, but if it seeing as diesel burns the hottest it will "float" more than the propane. Though i maintain the difference is inconsequential. And the air-displacing CO2 is heavier than air regardless. in all cases the room will fill with lethal fumes.

This is the reason why the power units used around manholes are Propane powered, so the fumes don't fall in the manhole.

I think my Tractors Sexy......
It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 04:29:44 PM »

We have a Storm coming through tonight so i am going the check the Generator to make sure it is ready to go.

It really turns me on!!!
Amigatec

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »

Sorry, but thats illogical to the point of violating the laws of physics. in both cases the lethal gases, CO and NOx are exactly the same chemically. so they will behave identically as they exit the generator. I somehow doubt that the change in exhaust temperature between the fuels is enough to make a difference, but if it seeing as diesel burns the hottest it will "float" more than the propane. Though i maintain the difference is inconsequential. And the air-displacing CO2 is heavier than air regardless. in all cases the room will fill with lethal fumes.

The Exhaust output of Propane and NG is mostly CO2 and Water Vapor, CO2 is not considered a poisonous gas, in high enough quantities it can displace Oxygen. Gas and Diesel on the other hand produce CO and NO2 both of which are lethal.

It really turns me on!!!
atomic17
Proudly Canadian

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 05:11:19 AM »

amig propane burns with less heat, so i guess it would produce less NOx. But less heat means more CO. But then again propane is cleaner which may make a difference...

Its hard to say, but i still stand by that all generators will produce a cloud of toxic exhaust fumes you need to vent out of your house. Propane probably produces less of these fumes, but i still doubt that one will rise and the other wont. Especially seeing as CO2 is heavier than air...

להיות עם חפשי בארצנו
Mexicanjoe
Prolific Prepper Sponge

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 05:50:30 AM »

I see this is an old post but I wanted to repply with something I just saw and the data for it.

This is more for people who are needing info.

Now let me start off by saying I am not an engine guy or even into cars. I will work in your garden if you work on my truck. I hate engines but I thought this as cool and looked pretty easy. I am going to do it to my generator.

Before you go to the video link and the manufacturer link let me inject my opinion. I like a gas generator because even though gas is expensive it can be found after TSHTF. Now when it runs out or is hard to find you can use propane with this set up. It makes your generator dual fuel. one or the other with only turning on the selected fuel.
After you make the modification your are dual fuel.

I hope this helps.

RUN YOUR GAS GENERATOR ON PROPANE!

http://www.propanecarbs.com/

Better to have it and not need it Then need it and not have it.
Brian F

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »

Somewhere here I have the pictures of the Stand-By Generator i had installed. It runs off Natural gas, and has an Automatic switch to start it up, and transfer the power from the pole to the Generator.

These can be a bit pricey, I spent around $5000 total for the install, and did a lot of the work myself.

I went the propane route, reasoning that gas and diesel will be very much in demand if the deliveries stop.  Someone might not wish to barter their last gallon of gasoline, needing it for their car or generator, but will be willing to barter the propane from their grill and cook over a campfire.  Propane doesn't go bad.

One thing to think about with natural gas is it's not always available when you most need it.  During Katrina, they shut it off to prevent fires.  This is likely to be the case with any big event.  Perhaps you can drop a tank on the property and get the kit to convert to propane when you need it (@20 minute job)?  My neighborhood has propane, so I've got 250 gallons ready to go under my front yard.  My stove was set up for natural gas.  All I had to do was switch the nozzles and reset the regulator.  Call the manufacturer of the generator and ask, or check the owner's manual.  They are small and will be taped to some cardboard on the back of the generator or in the manual.
markthenewf
Chief Newf

Chief Newf

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 09:51:51 AM »

When I moved, I took my gen set with me.  It's a gasoline 17.5 kW, so it'll run a full house for a day on a tank of gas.  I've researched it and there is a tri-fuel (NG, Popane, Gasoline) kit for it.  We have a 250 lb propane pig out back which is only used for the fireplace.....seriously, the original homeowner did that, not me..... so I need to see what's involved in getting the kit and a power line to the house set up (it has a 30-A line and two smaller 15-A lines).  This will be the big cost, so right now that's on hold until I can get other basic stuff back the way I had it in my old house.

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark
Carlyle

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 10:01:18 PM »

I have two propane generators, one for the house and one for the camper.  In a pinch, I could run gasoline in them.  However propane is such a clean way to fuel them and the fuel will last longer than the tank itself.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: