Today's Survival Show Forum
November 22, 2017, 09:32:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on down sizing?  (Read 1738 times)
rainygardener
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:51:28 AM »

In the last year, we have thought a lot about retirement, althought it's not for 20 years. We would like to build another place, but smaller and have it off the grid in order to make it more affordable after we retire. The home we have now is about 2300 sq ft, on 1 acre with numerous outbuildings and a huge shop. We tryed to sell the house this year, but the market here is swamped with people dumping realestate, so we are waiting on the market to try again.
Have you thought about downsizing because of retirement or the economy?
midge

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »

Heavens no!   Shocked  I fantasize of having an olympic gymnasium for a living room. And perhaps another one for a kitchen. I'm the "Mom" for a very large family. Everybody shows up at Midge's house for the smallest reason, or no reason.  I have a food storage for 10 people for a year and have boxes of stuff tucked EVERYWHERE! I have blankets and coats and kids shoes, and laundry tubs, and......Wait a moment, I'm out of breath. 
It's not uncommon for a completely unplanned and unexpected clan gathering to happen here. My sister shows up at noon just to say Hi, and my daughter-in-law brings the kids to play with the rabbits. Before long a son arrives to announce he's hungry and brings friends. By suppertime 12 sit down to eat and by dark more have arrived with cake and icecream, and nobody planned a thing.
I'd not change a thing, despite the work, except the size of the house.

All the world is Mad, save Thee and me, and at times me thinks that Thou art also Mad.
bridgie

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:32:31 PM »

hahaha so lolz that you mention this: I have, due to personal reasons, moved from 2 1/4acres with house space of about 200m2, to an 1/8 acre city section and a house of maybe 90m2.

it's like moving in with gnomes. I thought I had culled violently before I left the last place, but I need another skip, or a garage sale, now that I arrive here.  There is no room to swing a cat.  It's amazing what you can do though - and amazing how we get used to oodles of space that we essentially do not require.  Could have an environmentalist grumble about that if I were in the mood... Wink

It was not due to the economy or retirement however, it was despite it, as any person with common sense isn't selling in new zealand unless they have to, house prices are at an all time low and still dropping....

however I have been told not to buy again yet. and I have also been told that we should prepare for a double-dip. ie a recession on top of a recession.  not sure I'd liquefy my assets just due to that for now, just tossing it out there. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:35:03 PM by bridgie » Logged

four legs good, two legs bad.
SB

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 08:48:27 AM »

Just me and my wife in 1700sqft double wide on 4 acres, still too big, but I'm staying.  I bought it for less than half what I would have paid for a house of the same dimension.  Originally I wanted to build underground, but cost way too much.  Not really looking to downsize as much as looking to strengthen and insulate more.  Thought about stucco covered hay bales on outside walls with a false roof, but the humidity scares me away from that.  Next idea is stucco covered sandbags on outside walls with false roof and solar hot water heater.  Building codes shouldn't be a problem.  I can handle the sandbags, but I don't have a clue about the stucco or cost.  False roof I guess would be tin.  Many people in mobile homes here put a false tin roof over the original roof.   Still just thinking for now.
Ottar
I am Ottar NOT Pttar

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »

I read an article about someone who did just that 5 or 6 years ago. Basicall erected a pole barn over the trailer, insulated between the two roofs and then did a layer of strawbales up tight against the trailer(finished in proper fashion,

Ottar

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
midge

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »

I'd be afraid of the straw bales because of the fire risk, and rodents and bugs nesting in it. Boy, the sandbag idea would be ballistic proof!

All the world is Mad, save Thee and me, and at times me thinks that Thou art also Mad.
Ottar
I am Ottar NOT Pttar

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 12:34:09 PM »

Midge go to:

http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/

they have lots of instructional books on both Straw Bale as well as if you search under Earthbag it will give a book on building w/ what are effectively sandbags. Charmaine the founder of the site was a good friend and resource before she sold her business and retired. Lots of good info on these pages.

Ottar

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke
SB

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 10:50:37 AM »

The idea behind the hay bales to deter rodents is to completely plaster both sides to where the rodents can't get to the hay.  But as I mentioned earlier you still have the moister.  In using the sandbags, use a clay/sand mix, field dirt or even a type of adobe mix and let it harden before plastering. 
SB

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 11:15:18 AM »

Though I'd also share a downsizing story a friend of mine did.  This friend of mine got a divorce and his wife got the house.   About a year before the divorce they had some land and had put a 20X30 metal building on it.  They used it to store their  pop up camper, and other things.  After the divorce my friend moved into the metal building using the pop up camper as his bedroom.  He built a bathroom in one corner and was building a bedroom next to it.  He said he had plans some day to move out of the pop up.  I like it, truck parked inside right beside the bedroom along with the lawn mower and motorcycle with workbench and tools just a few steps away.  Why can't women see the beauty of the set up?
openeyes

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »

We plan on skipping the "upsizing" so we can have more income flexibility. In a similar vein, my parents built their own home and skipped having a mortgage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: