Today's Survival Show Forum
November 22, 2017, 09:25:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Today's Survival Forum, share your survival ideas.

Home   Help Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Move to the USA?  (Read 1297 times)
Frazer
Apartment Prepper!

« on: July 29, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »

I'm putting this here because it fits best since I can't find any other section that my question would apply to, Bob feel free to move it where you feel it should go if need be!

As some of you know I'm going to college soon to become a Computer Systems Network Administrator.  I am usually a long term planner in my head and I've been kicking around the idea of getting out of Canada and moving to the USA once I'm done school.  The career choice I've made is pretty much universal and the skills I will acquire are in demand everywhere I would go.

Why do I want to leave Canada? well one thing is how cloudy our self defence laws are, someone could be perfectly justified in their self defence but end up in jail because some judge decided he or she felt like applying the "use of force continuum" something very few civilians are trained in.  Then there are the gun laws, sure we can have long guns in Canada but the reality is it's not an inalienable right to own a firearm, as it stands the government can pass a bill changing the definition of a gun and the RCMP can look at the registry and knock on anyone's door with the particular weapon and take it without compensation.  At least in the USA I'd have a better chance of winning a court battle over my guns.

While it may take a while to get full landed emigrant status and a Conceal carry permit.  The ability to carry a firearm day to day is appealing to me.  I'm not confident in the Canadian ideology that if you are in trouble you need to take a beating or get raped while the police take their standard 7-11 minutes to respond.  I want to be able to defend myself if someone is attacking me or my family and not wait for the police to show up!

Then there is the political climate in Canada.  Much like the USA our government is full of "all knowing, geniuses" who pass bills not according to what the people want but according to what the politicians think is best.  The USA from what I've heard is not much better but what I see is the design of the USA gives the people more of a fighting chance to keep their country.  I know this isn't a religious board however even though I'm a Christian you can really apply this to any god you want, I like how the constitution and bill of rights is given by God (whoever that may be to you) not congress.  In Canada all it really takes is the government passing a law to change things, everything is given by the house of commons and no rights are inalienable. The political system while not perfect in the USA is (in my humble opinion) inspired by God (whoever you want that to be) and is much better than any other system I've seen in the world.  This is why (In my Humble Opinion) the USA has grown to be such a superpower, the limits of government allowed the people to thrive unlike any civilization in history.

So here is where I am going on this, can any of the Americans on this board tell me what they think about emigrating to the USA? Is there anything I should consider? is there anything I may not have thought of?  Are there dangers that make you think I'm better off in Canada?  All opinions welcome.

40Cal Joe

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 07:00:34 AM »

And the good thing is according to our current "leadership" in Washington, no paper work needed, just come on down and join the party. OK, my satire aside, you do make a compelling argument for immigrating here. Don't where you had in mind locating to, but it would be worth some investigating as some of our cities and states have ignored the Constitution and have very restrictive gun laws that rival what you are dealing with now.

A big decision you are facing. In the long run, you must do what is best for you and your family, and I applaud you for that.

Guns laws NEVER get the guns out of the hands of criminals and only put innocent liefs at grave risk. Ut-oh, I feel a rant coming on, so let me stop here.

My weapons locker is filled with
More guns than I need
But not all that I want.
Frazer
Apartment Prepper!

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 08:56:35 AM »

And the good thing is according to our current "leadership" in Washington, no paper work needed, just come on down and join the party. OK, my satire aside, you do make a compelling argument for immigrating here. Don't where you had in mind locating to, but it would be worth some investigating as some of our cities and states have ignored the Constitution and have very restrictive gun laws that rival what you are dealing with now.

A big decision you are facing. In the long run, you must do what is best for you and your family, and I applaud you for that.

Guns laws NEVER get the guns out of the hands of criminals and only put innocent liefs at grave risk. Ut-oh, I feel a rant coming on, so let me stop here.

Thanks for your input Joe, I am thinking Texas but I`m really not sure...

midge

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:51:45 AM »

political crap aside, Canada is cold. (I have a phobic dislike of being cold  Tongue)  I've been there, and it's beautiful! And I love Canadians, they're good and sensible people for the most part. I think we have more senseless idiots in America, but hey, that's alright, the Great American Way allows you to be one if you want. (That was said with tongue firmly in cheek.)
Your best bet is to come on down, look around, maybe stay for a bit and see if you like it.

All the world is Mad, save Thee and me, and at times me thinks that Thou art also Mad.
atomic17
Proudly Canadian

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »

ive also thought about eventually getting a us passport and moving on down. I was thinking Idaho or new Hampshire though. I love the cold actually, i cant stand it when its hot and humid.

להיות עם חפשי בארצנו
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: